Saturday, December 2, 2023

Hearing Love's Song


Hearing is one of the great joys of this life and while there are an infinitesimal number of sounds one can hear, none has quite the impact as the sound of a loved one's voice.

The sound of your newborn baby as she is born; hearing mom's voice calling to you when you were lost; the sound of your beloved's voice as he asks you to marry him.  

I'll never forget hearing the sound of my father's voice over the phone after not having heard it in 30 years.  I had put his voice out of my mind in trying to get beyond the hurt of losing him.  Yet, when I heard it again, it was both familiar and new, sending my heart soaring in bittersweet joy.  I'll never forget it and now that he has entered into Eternity (Eternal rest, grant to Him, O Lord and may perpetual Light shine upon him), I stop and "listen" again to remember, hope and look forward...

The human voice is the resonance of the soul as it passes over and through the linguistic terrain of the throat and mouth.  In this breath, the inner life of the person is expressed, revealing that which cannot be seen, nonetheless moving and shaping the world around us.  Its range, depth, subtleties, and tones move the soul as the moon moves the seas.  Most profoundly, it was The Word spoken by God through Whom all things came to be.  The Word echoed through nothingness and brought forth life.  Such sublime discourse!  

In all of Creation, there is no single voice like that of Our Lady.  She who was created Immaculate, never subject to sin or the snares of the devil, growing in virtue and holiness with each passing day, the Spouse of the Holy Ghost, the Mother of God, the most beautiful and highest of all in the created world and The Queen of Heaven....how sweet, how precious, how tender and pure must be the sound of Her!  So much so, that John the Baptist leapt in his mother's womb upon hearing her greet Elizabeth!  The Heart created and kept pure from any hint of sin or human imperfection, united with the Sacred Heart of Her Son and Her God, what Its song must be!  So full of the Love of God and The Mother of God's love - reflecting the glory of God most perfectly.  One cannot imagine such beauty, surpassing that of the angels' heavenly song, particularly in Her Fiat - "I am the handmaid of the Lord.  Be it done to me according to Thy Word,"

Was there ever a more beautiful sound from all Creation than the sound of the Immaculate Heart of Mary echoing the Sacred Heart of Her Son, Jesus Christ in complete unity, purity and charity? 

No lark or sparrow could sing such a sweet song as She.  

Morning Bird

No Streisand or Callas could ever hit such a high note!

Callas High Notes

No other voice could ever convey the hope of all mankind as that of Our Mother.

It is Her Voice which I long to hear, now and at the hour of my death for I know if She is with me, I will see the face of God and live. 

Ave Maria (Bach)

No comments: