Monday, October 30, 2023

I've Got Song in My Heart....



In the Book of Psalms, there are 150 individual "songs of praise" of which the majority are attributed to King David whom Sacred Scripture refers to as the "sweet singer of Israel" (2 Kings 23:1).

The Book of Psalms is the most widely-read Book of the Bible and it is no wonder:  filled with intense cries to God, the Psalms express the vast horizon of human experience and emotions, from fear to joy, desolation to fulfillment, despair to hope, failure to success, wantonness to holiness, death to life. They were (and continue to be) used by The Church extensively in prayer and praise, as well as for instruction and understanding of The Lord.

Jesus Himself prayed the Psalms.  In fact, Scripture records that, of all of the Old Testament, it is the Psalms that Jesus quotes most often - 11 times (followed by Deuteronomy, Isaiah and Exodus, in that order); arguably, most notably and palpably from the Cross, He quotes (Douay Rheims) Psalm 21:1:  "My God, my God, why have Your forsaken me?"   It is the tradition of the Church that He cried out not only these words, but the entire Psalm as He endured His Most Sorrowful Passion. 

In those times, a rabbi was only as good as his teacher and as such, would refer to him when giving a lesson. It was never on his own authority that the teacher would speak.   However, when Jesus spoke the Word, He did so with such authority as had never been heard previously (see Luke 4:16-30 and Mark 1:21-28).  He referred to no other authority except His Father in Heaven. 

After all, Jesus is The Word Made Flesh. 

"In the beginning was the Word. The Word was with God and the Word was God.
He was with God in the beginning.
Through Him, all things came into being; not one thing came into being except through Him.
What has come into being in Him was life, life that was the light of men,
And light shines in the darkness and darkness could not overpower it."  - John 1:1-5

It would do us well to meditate on the power and majesty of The Word Made Flesh reading/praying The Word!  It is no wonder the demons would tremble at the sight of Him; that the raging seas would calm; that the deaf would hear, the blind would see, the lame would walk.   

Of all of the Psalms, there is likely none more beloved than Psalm 22 (Douay-Rheims):

"The Lord is my Shepherd, there is nothing I shall want!
He makes me lie down in green meadows;
He leads be besides restful waters, He refreshes my soul.
He leads me along the path of righteousness for His name sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil
For you are beside me.
Your rod and staff comfort me.
You set a table before me in the sight of my foes,
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows!
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life
And I shall dwell in the House of the Lord forever!"

It is no wonder why this Psalm is so beloved. Its rich and earthy imagery rises into a crescendo of faithful and trusting thanksgiving which both stirs and stills the soul...leading one to sing a song of praise!  Psalm 22 is often prayed in times of trouble for it reveals the saving Hand of God, The Good Shepherd who cares for His flock and will leave the 99 in search of the one lost sheep, the bounty of His love and intense interest and care for His little ones.

Though not recorded in Scripture, it is certain that our Lord prayed this Psalm.  Reflect for a moment on our Lord "singing" this Psalm during His Agony at Gethsemane...."You anoint my head with oil, my cup overflows"  or as He bore the Cross unto Calvary..."Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death.." or as He hung on the Cross..."You set a table before me in the sight of my foes..."   These very words written by Him and through Him as The Word, now prayed by Him as The Word Made Flesh, the God-man, both God and man....like us in every way, except sin and yet Divine, during His Passion.  Again, another point of contemplation and meditation.  

The reality of our Lord is beyond our comprehension and yet as the Baltimore Catechism tells us, we are given this wonderful gift of life "to "know, love and serve God."  To know Him is to love Him;  to love Him is to serve Him; to serve Him is to know and love Him.  In praying the prayers written by The Word, the songs of praise which He not only wrote but prayed and sang, we are given a most excellent way in coming to know Jesus Christ and when we pray, when we sing, we do so in unity as The Body of Christ, together in through and with Him and all who believe.  

Many inspired and lovely hymns have been written based upon the Psalms.  I include one selection here based on Psalm 22. 

The song of the lips is most lovely when it is first a song in the heart.  In praying the Psalms and hearing the Word of God, I pray that the music of your heart may be stirred, igniting the deep desire which has been placed within each of us for our Almighty and Eternal God. 

How awesome is it that the Creator of the human heart has also given us the words and means with which to stir and enflame it with love for Him, the Author of the human heart!

It just makes me want to sing!











No comments: